Donating money to evidence-backed, effective and underfunded charities is one of the easiest, but most impactful ways to multiply your social impact.
How can I get started?
01. Identify the most effective charity of your choice at givewell.org - it is the most rigorous charity evaluator. So you get the best Return on Investment for your money. If you care about animal suffering, you can also check out the Animal Charity Evaluator
02. Check out the effective altruism funds if you feel comfortable to have your donation managed by experts
03. Boost your impact by giving regularly and join the giving what we can community, who jointly tackles the most pressing challenges
04. Be proud that you invested in a better future, you just changed someone’s life
Why should I give?
01. It is incredibly cheap and easy to save a life - it costs only 4,000$. There are many great and scalable solutions out there, where the only bottleneck is funding. Get an overview of the best NGOs on GiveWell.org, a charity evaluator founded by two investment bankers. GiveWell also provides you with general advice on how to do the most good with your money
02. You are a perfect fit for supporting effective charities as you are likely to have an above-average income. Even though it might not feel like it, but chances are that you belong to the richest 3% of the world. Find out how rich you are on GivingWhatWeCan
03. Money is often the only bottleneck for already existing highly efficient and effective solutions to some of the world’s most pressing problems. Get an overview of the best NGOs on GiveWell.org, a charity evaluator founded by two investment bankers. GiveWell also gives you general advice on how to do the most good with your money
04. Donating has potentially more impact than working in a typical NGO. Depending on your position and personal fit for different career options, you can probably do more good by working in consulting and donating 10% of your income than working for a typical charity. Find inspiration on how to increase the impact of your direct work here
How will I benefit from donating to GiveWell recommended charities?
01. You are doing the most good possible with your money and will send a strong signal to your community. You can be sure to get the highest return on investment with GiveWell
02. Donating will most likely give you a deeper sense of purpose, increase your happiness and satisfaction in life. E.g., one study found that the best predictor three months after bonus season was not the total amount of bonuses received, but how much of it was donated. You can be sure that you have a positive impact on our world