You have 80,000 hours in your career.
Invest them strategically.
Generally speaking, we recommend the 80,000 Hours career guide, which offers free, evidence-based career advice tailored to talented graduates and young professionals.
We want to especially highlight the very useful career decision planning tool to facilitate your decision process.
Below you find a list of general ideas, which is not exhaustive. (Please note that career choices highly depend on your unique position so read this rather as inspiration than as final advice. Personal fit is a big consideration, so be keen on exploring more options on 80000hours.com).
Additionally, feel free to contact us for informal feedback on your career plans.
Impactful things you can do in consulting/business
01. Donate 10% of your income - and drive real change! If you sign the Giving What we Can Pledge, you can save at least one life a year or de-worm thousands of children so they can attend school and live a healthier life. Check out Felix's blogpost on how he invests in a better world.
02. Found a (tech) start-up - and pledge to give a chosen percentage of your personal proceeds at the point of liquidity. Join the powerful Founders Pledge community, which has already collected $2bn+ in pledges from founders of companies like Google DeepMind and Klarna.
03. Promote the community - and increase your impact many times over through influencing other altruists to pursue the very best opportunities for doing good. Most people are excited to hear that there are charities out there that really make a difference that they can contribute to. For example, some members of this network have founded EA communities within their firms or influenced (spending) decisions of senior leaders.
04. Specialize in high-impact areas - work in fields within consulting that are seen as especially impactful, such as artificial intelligence or public policy.
05. Apply your comparative advantage - how could you leverage your unique position, skill-set and network to support EA causes? This could include talking to high net worth individuals you might know, informing influential people about effective solutions in their area or offering your skills to effective organizations.
06. Connect with like-minded people - in professional and private life e.g., by identifying colleagues in the directory and adding yourself to it.
Impactful things you can do outside of consulting/business
Even though management consulting was one high-impact career path recommended by researchers of 80,000 hours for career-building and earning to give, they have since updated their view. They argue that you are more likely to have impact outside of the Economics field, especially by focusing on our long-term future. However, this might not apply if you are an exceptionally good fit (e.g. top 10% of your peer group in a top strategic firm).
Here are several ideas that might be a good fit for a consultant outside of economics. Also check out the career profile of 80k to find content that might be more helpful for you.
Work at an effective NGO or effective altruism organisation
Found an effective charity - check out Charityentrepreneurship.com, they offer an incubation program
Work in the public sector, especially on AI and biorisk policies
Become a researcher on global priorities
Find current high impact job openings below:
Working for the Effective Altruism Consulting Network
We are no longer accepting General Applications or Volunteer Applications at the moment. If you are interested in working for the EACN, sign up for our newsletter, where we will post new positions as they become available.